This list of Halloween books for children is all treats and no tricks! Share these thirteen books about ghosts, goblins, witches, and spooks with your kids to celebrate Halloween and practice reading.
13 Spooky Books for Halloween
- Halloween-themed children’s books
Oooo! It’s time for Halloween—the month when ghosts, goblins, and witches come out. You can celebrate Halloween all month long with these thirteen fun-filled children’s books.
- By the Light of the Halloween Moon by Caroline Stutson: A witch, ghoul, cat, and other Halloween monsters hear a strange tapping. But where is it coming from?
- Shake Dem Halloween Bones by W. Nikola-Lisa. It’s Halloween, and a roaring hip-hop ball has overtaken the city. Watch Goldilocks, Robin Hood, and other fairytale characters dance at this spooky party.
- Bone Soup by Cambria Evans: Despite his larger-than-life appetite, Finnigan is a boy who’s nothing but bones. Will this hungry skeleton be able make a delicious cauldron of Halloween soup?
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson: The witch and her cat are on a search for her hat, bow, and wand that blew away in the wind. On the way, they pick up a few animal hitchhikers.
- Mouse’s First Halloween by Lauren Thompson: On a spooky Autumn evening, Mouse is frightened by the witches, ghosts, and bats in his neighborhood. Why in the word are all these spooky creatures walking around?
- The Best Halloween Hunt Ever by John Speirs: Look at all the trick-or-treaters out on Halloween night! This story takes readers on a haunted treasure hunt filled with hidden surprises.
- The ABCs of Halloween by Patti Reeder Eubank: Can you find something that starts with “A” and has to do with Halloween? This book can find one for the entire alphabet.
- Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman: A witch wants to make a pie out of the largest pumpkin she’s ever seen. But how will she move it into her house?
- Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler: This poor skeleton has the hiccups. What can he do to cure his malady?
- Froggy’s Halloween by Jonathan London: Froggy is so excited to dress up in his costume and go trick-or-treating. But with a few misadventures along the way, will Froggy and his friends still have a fun Halloween night?
- The 13 Nights of Halloween by Guy Vasilovich: You’ve heard of the 12 Days of Christmas, but what about the 13 Nights of Halloween? Celebrate this spooky holiday with singing skulls, icky eyeballs, and other ghoulish delights.
- Who’s There on Halloween? by Susan Hagen Nipp: Can you solve these frightening Halloween riddles? Use the clues to name each spooky character hiding in this book.
- Scary, Scary Halloween by Jan Brett: These woodland animals are frightened by all the spooky creatures trick-or-treating! What will they see on this Halloween night?
Happy Halloween and happy reading!