Springtime is a season of transformation and growth. Celebrate this special time of the year with your children by crafting, eating snacks, and reading spring-themed books together. Your child’s love of learning will blossom right along with the flowers outside!
A Spring Snack, Craft and Book
- Yellow treat cup (or paper cup)
- Orange card stock
- Googly eyes
- Round cookie cutter (or a glass or small dish)
- Cheese slice
- Carrot stick
- Candy eyes
Chick Trail Mix:
- Graham cracker cookies
- Jelly beans
First, prepare the snacks. To make the springtime treat cup:
- Have your child draw the feet and beak on the orange card stock and cut them out
- Glue their drawings onto the treat cup along with the googly eyes.
- Fill the treat cup with the chick trail mix ingredients.
To make the chick sandwich:
- Cut the bread and cheese into a circular shape using the cookie cutter
- Place the cheese on top of the bread.
- Peel and cut a slice off the wide end of the carrot stick. The carrot slice will be a circle, make two cuts on either side in a ‘V’ shape to make the beak.
Finally, read a fun springtime-themed book with your child. Here are a few chick books you might like to read:
- The Chick and the Duckling by Mirra Ginsburg
- Chick by Ed Vere
- Nora’s Chicks by Patricia MacLachlan
- This Little Chick by John Lawrence
- Chicken Little by Ed and Rebecca Emberley
Now you can read your chosen book to your little one while you both enjoy the delicious snacks you made together.